Difficult door lock

The door locks in my dorm are very difficult to use. You can turn the key around and around and when it reaches the end, your key is not in a vertical position that can be taken out and the door cannot be opened. So, you turn it back to a vertical position, try pushing the door but it wouldn't budge. So you turn back another half circle and try again and if it still doesn't work, turn it back another half circle and repeat until you get it to open or you reach the other end. When you reach the other end, turn back and try again and eventually you'll hear a click and the door can be opened. After fumbling with the door for a few times, I realised that if I turn the key half a cirle anti-clockwise first, I will hear a click immediately and the door can be opened. So, I made myself to remember to turn anti-clockwise every time I enter the room. The door is automatically locked when it's shut.

I don't really know how the lock works but I think there are other ways to turn the key to open the door. I know this coz whenever someone has entered my room, I couldn't get the door to open by simply turning the key half circle anti clockwise like I usually do. I kinda had to "reset" it to my style and the next time, it can be opened using my method.

And I was pretty distracted that someone entered my room that I left my keys outside the door the entire night. I didn't realised my keys were missing until I went out this morning and saw it hanging at the door.

Oh, and for the entrace door to the dorm, you had to turn the key half circle clock-wise, stop there, pull open the door, and turn the key back to vertical position to get your key out. At first, I turned the key all the way round and I couldn't get the door to open.

I really don't understand why they design door locks that have so much room to turn and it only works when it's turned half way or something.

1 comments:

    german engineering. LOL