Speaking German

People had been asking me "So how's your German so far?" in the 2 weeks prior to my departure. I had been staying up late into the night, almost every night to learn as much German as I could. And, I didn't get far so I was quite worried.
Still, with limited German I managed to get on the bus from the airport in Cologne to Bonn. I know how to ask "Where is the bus stop?" and to understand the answer, it's a combination of the keywords:left, right, straight ahead, turn together with the directions they are making with their hands.
Everytime I want to speak German, I have to think of what words to use and how to structure it correctly and my vocabulary is very limited. There was once that I managed to say something without thinking first. I was standing in front of the Pizza Hut Express Counter just looking at the pizzas and a lady came to counter with a box. I smiled and said "Nein danke" (No thanks) and walked away feeling surprised. Normally, I would smile and wave my hand to indicate no.

I bought my first meal at McD. I figured that's the safest option since most young people here speak English :)

Most frequently used words so far:
Danke -Thanks
Vielen Dank - Thanks a lot
Guten Morgen -Good morning
Guten Tag -Good day/Hello
Enschuldigung - Excuse me/Sorry
Tschüss - Bye!

I have been lazy to continue my german lessons since I got here as I still managed to get by. Hehe.

1 comments:

    you should've hooked up with gary's boss and speak german with him whilst in malaysia. those words u mentioned here sounded so familiar. hahaha!