Missing house keys

I'm certain the keys are in the basket on the table. I left the rest of my cards on the table and I see them on the table everytime I unload my stuff onto the basket. Even the small sim card is there. Since stuff, especially receipts, kept piling into the basket, I did not see the keys and I thought it was being just covered over. So when the time came to pack and leave, I was surprised the keys were no longer in the basket. I searched the table and the basket again and again but the keys could not be found. I asked mom if she saw my keys and she told me that I left it in the basket. I said "It's not there anymore". She was suprised too and we started searching for the keys together. I searched my entire closet, drawers, cabinets, basically almost the entire room many many times but still no keys. Instead of throwing a tantrum like I'm prone to do when I cannot find my stuff, this time I actually searched calmly in a organised way. After half a day of searching, I ran out of idea where my keys could be. Without keys means I can't go home. Both my housemates have left the apartment when I was away. I started thinking of what options I have. The journey home from Verona airport is quite smooth. I didn't have to wait for the bus or the train. I went straight home and pressed the bell hoping that my new housemate is home. Lucky me, she's at home.

The next morning, I went to the housing department to request for a new set of keys. I was told to go to the police to make a report. I was quite nervous coz I didn't think I could fill up forms and stuff in Italian. I asked the lady to write for me what I should tell the police. Armed with that paper, I went to the police department. They have a section called Ufficio Denunce. Denunce sounds like "di non che", literally translated to "of not there". Hehe..a section is just for reporting missing stuff. It was just one room with the officer sitting behind a relatively empty desk with a computer. When it was my turn, I told the officer that I lost my keys and passed the piece of paper to him. He started typing lots of stuff into the computer. He asked for a few things and finally the report was being printed from the printer. We signed the report and I went back to the housing depaprtment to get my keys. Phew! It wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be. No form filling on my side, just the officer typing in all the details as I just sat there. When I returned home with my new set of keys, I realised that I actually lost 4 keys, not 2. I forgot about the mailbox key and the key to enter the apartment building. Anyway, I was given the building key and apartment key so it is sufficient. So yeah, although I came back in time for the first day of class, I actually missed it coz I had to deal with my missing keys.

0 comments: