100 days

When I met up with friends whom I haven't seen for a long time, the usual questions I get from most one of them are:
  • Why did you come back and work here/Why don't you stay there?
  • Am I getting used to living in Malaysia?
  • Am I'm back for good?
And my short answers are; This is home, it's ok/not bad, and for now, yes. Even the long answers could be summarized as such. But I haven't considered how I feel. Am I happy? Excited? Disappointed? Frustrated?

It's been a hundred days since I started my "new" life. I'm back to being a responsible adult, going back into the workforce, and contribute to the country's economy. I also started to participate strongly in family matters. On the surface, everything seems like how it used to be. The going to work, going home, going out routine has made the transition easier, due to familiarity.

When I 'look' closely, I noticed all the little details that are different. I work for the same company, but about half of my colleagues are new to me, and I have different job responsibilities. Well, even the office is located at a different place now. I actually quite like this mix of something familiar with something new. I guess I'm pretty much exhausted from all the completely new experiences that I got in the past few years.

I'm also glad that I now play a larger role in my family. I feel less helpless now that I can physically be around for them. I spend a lot more time with them and there's more communication going on. So far so good but still a long way to become one of reasons for me to stay put.

I'm not exactly used to living back in Malaysia yet. I hate the hot weather but I can tolerate it better now. I have to consciously remember not to fill my cup with water from the tap. I feel displeased when I see people who carry lots of plastic bags and when I come across trash that's filled with recyclable stuff in it. Anyway, all these do not annoy me enough for me to consider moving away.

I'm currently open to the possibility that I would stay in Malaysia for the long term and I've finally discovered one thing that I would stick around for. However, I still have no idea whether I would be able to obtain it.

These first hundred days have mostly been about adapting to living with family, living in Malaysia, and holding down a job. I think I have fared pretty well so far. Next, it's time to think about what I want to do with my life.

3 comments:

    but is it so hard to get used to living in m'sia though? after all we've spent so many years here already.

    I don't think it's difficult to get used to living in Malaysia. I've done it before and i should be able to do it again.

    It's more about getting used to a new lifestyle, be it in Malaysia or abroad. I was away for 3+ years. Things have not stayed the same and more than half of them are new to me. It just takes time to adapt to these changes, especially the unpleasant ones.

    unpleasant ones like.. the 10 million new junctions on jalan cheras! lol